Computerized adaptive testing version of the QLQ-C30 available for testing
Do you want to take part in the testing of the new EORTC CAT instrument?
The EORTC QLG has completed the development of item banks for all functional and symptom domains of the QLQ-C30.
The EORTC CAT is currently being tested in a large international validation study where the relative validity of CAT as compared to QLQ-C30 scale scores is investigated. However, it is possible to use the newly developed CAT now.
Until the EORTC CAT has been validated it should be used in parallel with the EORTC QLQ-C30. Thus, if you include one or more CATs or short-forms in a study you should still expect to use the QLQ-C30 as the primary outcome in the study.
There will be two different ways of using the CAT item banks:
1. Use the CAT electronically (each item is selected according to the patient’s responses to the previous items)
2. Use a short-form based on the CAT item bank (for example six pain items). The short-form can be administered as a traditional paper and pencil questionnaire or electronically.
In both cases the scoring will be based on the same (item response theory) models, and the results will be directly comparable.
Advantages of adding EORTC CAT to a study while it is still "experimental"
Even though the validation of the EORTC has not been completed (and you should therefore only use it in conjunction with the QLQ-C30), there will be several advantages of adding CATs to a new study at this stage:
* The CAT(s) are expected to provide a more precise measurement with less floor/ceiling effect. If, for example, pain is an important outcome of a new study you could add the Pain CAT. Thereby you will have an additional, and probably better, measurement of pain.
* The parallel use of the QLQ-C30 and CAT will provide data that can be used in the validation of the CAT.
* Depending on the duration of your study the CATs may be fully validated when your study is completed, and hence they may then be used as outcomes on equal terms with the QLQ-C30.
* You will gain experience in and insight into the use of CAT and its performance in your research field.
* In some cases it may be possible to use the CAT data for additional publications, thus increasing the output from studies.
What are the conditions for use of EORTC CAT?
The conditions are similar to those that apply to an EORTC module that has completed phase 3 but has not yet gone through international validation (field study).
The conditions for use of EORTC CAT are:
* Completion of a User Agreement for the QLQ-C30
* EORTC CAT is used along with the QLQ-C30
* EORTC CAT should be scored according to the official algorithms (as provided by the EORTC QLG)
* Study data should be made available to the validation purposes. The details of this will be sorted out at that stage, and of course we will not interfere with or cause problems in relation to your publication plans.
These conditions apply irrespective of whether you use EORTC CAT or EORTC CAT short-forms.
Do I have to use all of the available EORTC CATs?
No, you can use one or more CATs.
Does it cost anything?
No, at this stage there are no additional costs for using the EORTC CAT (however, fees for the QLQ-C30 may apply).
Who owns the data?
You will own all data collected but the EORTC QLG should be allowed access to the data for validation purposes.
How do I get more information?